My previous blogpost was all about how I start a refashion. I shared my 5 tips for successful RTW refashions with you. This Refashioned Marimekko design fabric Tee is the result.
Marimekko has a large woven fabric collection. They don’t have any jersey fabrics In their collection so this discarded T-shirt was unique piece. I really like the blue/grey flower design. They can easy be combined with jeans but also with black fabrics as well. This fabric looks a bit like the famous Unikko ontwerp van Majia Isola.
Designing my refashion
I carefully unpicked the original T-shirt and started making design plans during the second washing. A V-neckline at the back like the Tracy Bee Top but using a contrast fabric for the facings. I found some light grey jersey in my leftover fabric stash that came from this dit basic T-shirt.
I used my self drafted basic T-shirt pattern. You can see me using it in my previous blogpost. The neckline is drafted straight on the fabric. An easy way to draft the facings is by laying front and back piece on the contrast fabric and cutting along the neckline of the T-shirt. I finished the sleeves with a facing too.
Stitching and Finishing
I topstitch a broad neckline facing in this order:
1. Stitch the shoulder seams of the T-shirt and facings
2. Stitch the facings on the T-shirt
3. Topstitch the facings (your T-shirt will lay nicely flat under your sewing machine while stitching)
My topstitching is sewed with a distance of 3 centimeters from the neckline. I used a magic pen so topstitching was a piece cake.
Time and Costs
Time: unpicking and ironing 3 hours; cutting 45 minutes; stitching and finishing 5 hours
Costs: yarn and knit interfacings were leftovers from previous projects
The result and satisfaction factor
I’m very pleased with the result. This Refashioned Marimekko design fabric Tee fits perfect and is a pleasure to wear. The facings of the neckline and sleeve are visible because they are pulled slightly to the front. It looks a bit like a piping finish and it gives a nice detail to this Tee. I’ve also sewed the original label on the facings.
The next project is about to start. I try to draft a pattern for a garment that I saw last year. If you return next Monday you can see if I succeeded.