My Let’s Sti(c)k Together March challenge was making a poloshirt for my husband. I’m also a participant in the Breaking Ground Tour and decided to combine both challenges. First step: finding a suitable pattern for this make. I did a search on the internet with ‘poloshirt male sewing pattern’. The result was a bit disappointing and one of the suggestions was a Kwik Sew pattern.
I’ve never heard of Kwik Sew but this company seems to be founded in 1967. They design patterns for ‘real people’ and easy-to-follow sewing instructions. Kwik Sew 3484 is a dress shirt but I decided to challenge myself and turn the pattern into a pattern suitable to make poloshirt. The back body needed no alteration and the center front body pattern was also drafted on the pattern. Time for the Kwik Sew 3484 pattern poloshirt hack. I only made button plackets.
Kwik Sew 3484 pattern poloshirt hack – the fabric
The fabric was bought at Javro in Epse during a short stay in Klarenbeek. This moss green fabric has a small jeans coloured stripes. I also wanted to add some contrast fabric and started looking in my leftover fabrics for suitable fabric.
A large piece of light weighted jeans coloured was found and started drafting a sketch how I wanted to use both fabrics. Sewing the button plackets would be a challenge after taking a good look at the way they were made in an existing poloshirt.
Kwik Sew patroon 3484 poloshirt hack – stitching
I started making the button plackets in the front and stitching the breast pocket. The shoulder seams were closed so now it was time to sew the collar on the poloshirt. The collar wasn’t cut and because my husband doesn’t close the first button I decided to let the stripes form the collar running through with the stripes of the body.
After some puzzling (about one hour) I had found how to do it so I could cut the collar. The under collar is made of contrast fabric. Now the last step was sewing the poloshirt together. Two hours later the Kwik Sew patroon 3484 poloshirt hack was almost ready. I found some matching buttons in my button box and after making the button holes I hand sewed both buttons on the poloshirt.
Kwik Sew patroon 3484 poloshirt hack – learning moments
You perhaps wondering why I decided to use and alter a Kwik Sew pattern. This pattern came up after my search question on internet. The easiest way was perhaps looking further or asking my sewing friends for pattern suggestions. But making the alterations and finding out how to make the button plackets was a great learning process. The collar has a beautiful finish with the contrasting tape and the piping finish of the breast pockets are unique details.
My husband RTW poloshirt had a longer back the front and a matching blue ribbon is used to finish the vents. My husband is pleased with his finished poloshirt. He now has to wait for warmer days so he can wear it on one of his jeans.
Time and Costs
Time: pattern alterations 1 hour; drawing the collar 1 hour; cutting 45 minutes (I wanted running stripes so matching took some time); stitching and finishing 10 hours
Costs: patter € 13.20; fabric € 15,00; yarn € 3,50; interfacing € 0,50