IMG_0556 v vestje xIt’s not a secret: I love doing refashions. Here, here and here (website) are some earlier examples. When my mother and I were clearing out her closet she also decided to say goodbye to a cardigan with a multi colored animal print. When The Monthly Stitch announced the theme for August (using the number two to inspire sewing) I decided after an other idea failed to re-use this cardigan together with a black discarded T-shirt from our youngest daughter. My contribution would be: giving two well beloved clothes a second live

discardedHet is geen geheim: ik vind hergebruik enig om te doen. Hier, hier en hier zijn een paar voorbeelden. Bij het opruimen van mijn moeders klerenkast nam zij ook afscheid van een vestje van meer kleurig dierenprint. Toen het augustus thema van The Monthly Stitch bekend werd gemaakt (laat het getal 2 je inspireren) besloot ik deze sweater samen met een afgedankt T-shirt van onze jongste dochter te gebruiken. Mijn bijdrage zou worden: een tweede leven voor twee geliefde kledingstukken.

tekeningBefore I started sewing I made a sketch of what I had in my head. The animal fabric would be used for the cardigan and the black for some contrast. Although I thought I had enough fabric to play in reality it was less then I thought. There wasn’t any pattern that I could lay out so I had to cut the cardigan without using a pattern. After some measuring I drew the cutting lines on the fabric, used the existing V-neckline and started cutting. Then basted it together and put the cardigan on. It fitted just the way I had in my mind so the sewing began.

Eerst maakte ik een tekening van wat ik van plan was. De dierenprint zou het vestje worden e het zwart voor contrast. Alhoewel ik dacht voldoende stof te hebben in werkelijkheid was het minder. Er was geen patroon dat ik op de stof kon leggen. Na wat gemeten te hebben, tekende ik de kniplijnen direct op de stof, gebruikte de bestaande V-halslijn om daarna te knippen. Na het rijgen paste ik het vestje en het zat precies zoals ik in gedachte had.

IMG_0540 zij vestje xIt was a straight forward without any difficulty. I used some interfacing for stretch fabric when I sewed the contrast black fabric on the neckline and sleeve hem. V-details were added in the neckline and in the sleeve hem. Why a V? Because a V has 2 lines. The cardigan has a slight high/low hem and the armhole is topstitched. The 2-theme is also used for the buttons: I paired each time two buttons. The buttons came from my button box. 

Tijdens het naaien liep ik op geen probleem. Voor het naaien van de zwarte contrast biezen gebruikte ik versteviging voor stretch stof. V-details zijn toegevoegd in de neklijn en mouwzoom. Waarom een V? Omdat een V 2 lijnen heeft. Het vestje heeft een lichte hoog/laag zoom en het armschat is doorgestikt. Het thema 2 is doorgezet in de knopen: de knopen zijn 2 aan 2 aangezet. De knopen komen uit mijn knopendoos.

IMG_0557 heel voor xxIMG_0534 achter heelTotal cost: Yarn € 3.50. Interfacing €0.50.

Time used for this project: pattern drafting 1h, cutting 1h, sewing 8h

Totale kosten: Garen € 3.50. Versteviging €. 0.50

Arbeidsuren voor dit project: patroontekenen 1uur, knippen 1uur, naaien 8uur

Conclusion: The cardigan is lovely to wear. The fabric is very stretchy and comfortable. The cardigan matches very good with all my jeans. For this pictures I’m wearing it with my black jeans. This cardigan turned out as a satisfying refashion.

Conclusie: Het vestje draagt heerlijk. De stof heeft een prettige rek. Het vestje past zeer goed bij al mijn spijkerbroeken. Voor de foto’s heb ik mijn zwarte jeans aangetrokken. Het vestje is een zeer geslaagde refashion.

IMG_0530vxvestjex

2 comments on “When Two becomes One or the Marriage of Two discarded clothes”

Geef een reactie

Het e-mailadres wordt niet gepubliceerd. Vereiste velden zijn gemarkeerd met *